CALGARY, Alberta (Aug. 30, 2023) — Enverus Intelligence Research (EIR), a subsidiary of Enverus, the most trusted energy-dedicated SaaS platform, has released a report analyzing midstream operators’ exposure to low breakeven emissions and significant CO2 storage capacity in southern Louisiana. The report also covers operators with CCUS project partnerships and those located near CCUS projects without disclosed midstream partners.
“Securing reliable transportation of captured CO2 from emission sources to storage sites will be a critical component to the success of CCUS projects, and the recent purchase of DEN by XOM highlights the importance of transportation in the CCUS value chain,” said Brad Johnston, report author and senior geology associate with EIR.
“In southern Louisiana, with world-class storage reservoirs and abundant low capture cost CO2 emissions, there are many large-scale CCUS projects still in need of a midstream partner,” said Johnston.
Key takeaways from the report:
- Ten CCUS projects in southern Louisiana lack a disclosed midstream partner, representing at least 18 mtpa of announced capacity.
- Repurposing existing hydrocarbon pipelines and rights of way for CO2 transportation will likely be favored over new builds because of cost savings and avoidance of legal and regulatory delays.
- Southern Louisiana emits 104 mtpa of CO2, with 47% estimated to have a capture breakeven below $45/tonne. Six midstream operators have at least 40 mtpa of sub-$45/tonne emissions within five miles of their pipelines.
- Introducing CCUS Play Fundamentals
- Breaking down the CCUS basins
- CCUS Inventory Unlocks Hidden Potential
- Is Louisiana CO2 Storage Risky?
Members of the media should contact Jon Haubert to schedule an interview with one of Enverus’ expert analysts.
Enverus is the most trusted, energy-dedicated SaaS platform, offering real-time access to analytics, insights and benchmark cost and revenue data sourced from our partnerships to 98% of U.S. energy producers, and more than 35,000 suppliers. Our platform, with intelligent connections, drives more efficient production and distribution, capital allocation, renewable energy development, investment and sourcing; and our experienced industry experts support our customers through thought leadership, consulting and technology innovations. We provide intelligence across the energy ecosystem: renewables, oil and gas, financial institutions, and power and utilities, with more than 6,000 customers in 50 countries. Learn more at Enverus.com.
About Enverus Intelligence Research
Enverus Intelligence ® | Research, Inc. (EIR) is a subsidiary of Enverus that publishes energy-sector research focused on the oil, natural gas, power and renewable industries. EIR publishes reports including asset and company valuations, resource assessments, technical evaluations and macro-economic forecasts; and helps make intelligent connections for energy industry participants, service companies and capital providers worldwide. EIR is registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as a foreign investment adviser.