Calgary, Alberta (December 20, 2022) — Enverus Intelligence Research (EIR), a subsidiary of Enverus, the most trusted energy-dedicated SaaS platform, has released a report on oil and natural gas emissions management. Using PRISM, its proprietary operating system, EIR investigated trends across global monthly flared volumes collected from third-party satellite data. The report presents insights at the country, play and operator level.
“The U.S. and Canada contributed 6% and 1% to global estimated flaring volumes — or 212 Bcf and 25 Bcf — over the 12 months ending in June 2022, respectively. Yet, the two countries accounted for 24% and 4% of 2021 global natural gas supply, highlighting the relative strength of North American emissions management programs,” said Matthew Holloway, associate at EIR. “In contrast, Iraq and Iran released the most flared volumes at 15% and 14% of the global total, or 531 Bcf and 490 Bcf.”
Key takeaways from the report:
- The U.S. and Canada contributed 6% and 1%, respectively, to global estimated flaring volumes (212 Bcf and 25 Bcf) over the 12 months ending in June 2022. Yet, the two countries accounted for 24% and 4% of 2021 global natural gas supply.
- In contrast, Iraq and Iran released the most flared volumes at 15% and 14% of the global total, or 531 Bcf and 490 Bcf, respectively.
- The Bakken, Delaware and Eagle Ford exhibited the highest number of flaring events among North American oil and gas plays over the 12-month period. The Tuscaloosa Marina Shale (TMS), Yeso formation and Gulf of Mexico posted the largest average flaring rates, primarily due to outlier events.
- Flaring during upstream, gathering and processing operations in the U.S. contributed 33 million metric tons of CO2e in 2021 which equates to 14% of the sector’s emissions and 1% of total point source emissions in the country.
- PRISM, and the flaring information contained within the report, is available to all ESG Analytics subscribers.
Members of the media should contact Jon Haubert to schedule an interview with one of Enverus’ expert analysts.
Enverus is the most trusted, energy-dedicated SaaS platform, offering real-time access to analytics, insights and benchmark cost and revenue data sourced from our partnerships to 98% of U.S. energy producers, and more than 35,000 suppliers. Our platform, with intelligent connections, drives more efficient production and distribution, capital allocation, renewable energy development, investment and sourcing, and our experienced industry experts support our customers through thought leadership, consulting and technology innovations. We provide intelligence across the energy ecosystem: renewables, oil and gas, financial institutions, and power and utilities, with more than 6,000 customers in 50 countries. Learn more at Enverus.com.
About Enverus Intelligence Research
Enverus Intelligence Research, Inc. is a subsidiary of Enverus and publishes energy-sector research that focuses on the oil and natural gas industries and broader energy topics including publicly traded and privately held oil, gas, midstream and other energy industry companies, basin studies (including characteristics, activity, infrastructure, etc.), commodity pricing forecasts, global macroeconomics and geopolitical matters. Enverus Intelligence Research, Inc. is registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as an investment adviser.
Media Contact: Jon Haubert | 303.396.5996